Friday, February 14, 2014

Zero
Faith Yang
Taiwanese singer Faith Yang seems like someone you do not mess with: She bristles with attitude and a rock swagger not often found in the world of Mandopop.
New album Zero does nothing to dispel this impression.
On the opening track Parrot, she proclaims: “I reject love that’s too hollow, don’t be like a parrot, waiting to be praised.” Humourless finds her brusquely putting down a suitor: “I have never gotten your sense of humour/That’s why I’m cold, not that I’ve not said it before, but you just don’t hear.”
Her philosophy could well be summed up on Love Myself when she sings: “I love you, but I love myself more.”
But there are also moments of vulnerability and tenderness here.
On Exhibitionist, she lays bare her insecurities: “I’m like a clown, feeling especially empty and lonely after the laughter and applause.” But even tenderness is barbed on Missed Call: “A missed call is the cruel concern you show me.”
Her last album of original material was the memorable Continuation (2007). In it, she was imperious on Dame and moving on the beautifully spare I Leave Myself.
Zero, only her fifth full-length album since 1997’s One, remains true to form, if a shade less compelling. But with her distinctive vocals and clear-eyed sentiment, she could never be accused of parroting anyone else.
(ST)