Thursday, May 08, 2014

Rebel To The Right
Witness Huang
Nine years after his self-titled debut, American-Chinese rapper Witness Huang returns to a warm welcome from the Taiwanese hip-hop fraternity.
On the opening track, MC HotDog guests and Huang boasts: “My music’s going to make everyone high/I’m about to fly/So celebrate my return.”
Some of the tracks here deal with personal history. The Wanderer Returns is about him finding peace in religion, while Everything’s Gonna Be Alright is “about a Taiwanese kid who grew up in Texas”.
There is a sense that this album is about bearing witness to his personal transformation after having been through some tough times. My One And Only is a statement of fidelity from someone who has turned over a new leaf: “But now, I’m after stability/No more mixing alcohol/Just give the all-new Witness, only want just you.”
Stability? Fidelity? He is certainly rebelling against the worst of rap’s stereotypes.
(ST)