Thursday, August 07, 2014

Drama
Cut
Aaron Yan

Fans get a double dose of Aaron Yan as the Taiwanese idol releases two six-track EPs back to back. Drama collects tracks featured on his TV shows, while Cut purports to show the real Yan.
Yet the former is the stronger disc, offering more, well, drama.
The Mandarin-English duet One Out Of Two with Korean singer G.NA slips into an easy groove. That’s Not Me paints a picture of self-denial: “Just that when I hear a song/My eyes get red/That’s not me/Definitely not me.”
More romantic woes abound on The Unwanted Love but they are given a more upbeat arrangement.
In comparison, the material on Cut is less memorable. Head for the perkier numbers here – No Cut and Kidnap Love. Yan is possibly most honest on the track Entertainer when he sings: “Go ahead and guess, guess, guess, but you can never guess my heart.”
So much for showing the real Yan.
(ST)