Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Growing Up
The Freshman
The first song from the album most fans would probably have heard is the ballad Holding On, as it was used in the recent Channel 8 drama, The Queen.
Beautiful and moving, the track has been making its way up local radio charts and deservedly so.
Regrets linger over a hook that draws you in: “Can’t let go of all the things I didn’t say to you/So much more I want to say/How are you, can you hear me, miss you.”
On their second full-length album after debut Life Experiment 101 (2010) and EP The Dazy Eyes (2012), local duo The Freshman – comprising Project Superstar alumnae Chen Diya and Carrie Yeo – deal with all manner of growing pains while remaining steadfastly optimistic.
Over strumming guitars, Some Days begins on a note of innocence lost: “When I was little, I yearned for so much/Used to hold promises so dearly”. But the refrain, in English, spurs one on with “No, don’t give up”.
Meanwhile, the singer-songwriters’ effervescence finds an outlet on numbers such as Easy Does It and Sophomore’s Dream, which offer perky tunes and lyrics with a sense of fun (“Eat prata with me if you can’t sleep/Don’t ignore my calls”).
The pivotal title track in this consistently engaging album ends with a poignant plea: “The one who loves me, the one I love/Never change again.”
It is followed by the beguiling Bird, which quietly contemplates the cyclical rhythm of life. And so The Freshman gently take flight.
(ST)