Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Pluto
Enno Cheng
The dreamy and spacey Recycling In The Universe is the perfect introduction to Taiwanese singer-songwriter Enno Cheng’s new album Pluto, the follow-up to her previous record Neptune (2011).
It is a slice of electro-pop that is vast and intimate as she croons in her lightly husky voice: “Float, float gently, let go of space, time and language/Close my eyes, I’ve come to you without any defences.”
Somehow, even a blackhole sounds innocuous: “Can’t see inside this black-coloured hole, it will swallow up everything, everything/La la la la la la la la.”
The other songs are easily approachable with their breezily melodic tunes, but the lyrics sometimes carry a sting.
She sings in English on the chorus for Golden Old Days: “Hey bastard, you know this is how we work/No matter how, no matter how, you’ll always be my love.”
Our Pop Song, a collaboration with Hong Kong’s Ellen Loo, appears to be a response to Recyling In The Universe at one point: “I’ve put down my edges and strengths, will you destroy me,” Cheng sings.
At the same time, she is not afraid of being seen as vulnerable. She is earnest and hopeful on Pride (“Trust me, although I’m as frightened as you, we can search for answers together”).
Cheng charts an idiosyncratic and imaginative musical journey, one that honestly embraces the contradictions and fragility of life.
(ST)