Friday, April 05, 2013


Ricky Is A Nice Guy
Ricky Hsiao
Who says nice guys finish last? Not Taiwan’s Ricky Hsiao. The blind singer-songwriter’s fifth Mandarin album makes it all the way to the top of the G-Music album charts at home.
The opening track Live My Own Life is a winner with Lin Xi’s poignant lyrics paired with Hsiao’s memorable melody. He sings with a sense of purpose lines such as “I live the life I want, so long it’s not life living me” and “I own time, and time doesn’t have my notice”.
The folksy strains of Lotus Seed Heart also complement well a moving tale about a past love.
He might be nice but that does not mean he is bland. He gets emo on the Tanya Chua-penned ballad Who Said You Could. He wallows in misery here: “Who said you could, no one said you could, think I don’t care/But actually I hate myself, why did I fall for you”.
Not to worry, though, the album ends with a breezy pick-me-up, Simple Happiness. He lifts you up as he sings: “I’ve learnt to want the simple pleasures/Use love to experience each day I live”. A sweet sentiment from a nice guy.
(ST)