Thursday, September 04, 2014

Crown/Clown
Will Pan
Dancer-singers get no respect, so bemoans Taiwan-based Will Pan. But he is not going to take it lying down.
This is his 10th album and he is going to rise above the naysayers. He turns criticism into a dance track on Clown: “I’m a clown, you say/You see through me, you say.”
Then he unleashes a riposte: “I sing and dance/Humorous mambo dance steps tease your heartbeat/Applause swells, screams, everyone’s smiling/ Wipe away the tears/I’m a clown and proud of it.”
He also disses the haters on I Swagger The Most: “You complain that I’m shallow but I’m on your Instagram/I admit to being a little narcissistic, make you hate a little more each day.”
Some arrangements sound dated, though, and the slower-paced numbers still show up his voice. But props to him for taking on the party poopers.

Girls
Sun Shengxi
Looks like Taiwanese- Korean singer Bii is getting some bicultural competition. Chinese-Korean Sun Shengxi placed sixth in singing contest Chinese Million Star last year and this is her music debut.
A clear highlight here is Live With You, a track which holds my attention whenever I chance upon it on the radio. The ballad, composed by Lala Hsu with lyrics by David Ke, is a good showcase for Sun’s lightly husky pipes. She croons: “From loneliness moving out, living together with you, I don’t have much baggage, except for my focus on you.”
She composes, writes lyrics, and shows range and assuredness. Shouldn’t Shouldn’t sounds like a hit power ballad and Your Who drips with attitude.
People might not be asking “Sun who?” for long.
(ST)